Monday 10 May 2010

State of Play: F.E.A.R. 2

I famously (if indeed anything I do can be claimed to to even approaching fame) gave up on F.E.A.R. after the first level or so. I bought it for the X360 after having played the PC demo (this tells you how far in the past I’m reaching back; I’ve been fully Mac for two years).

I can’t be entirely certain that it was solely the strength of the demo which spurred me to buy the full game. It could have easily as been the availability of a cheap X360 version coupled with the fact that it was region-free too. It doesn’t really matter.

The sequel was picked up in the Boxing Day sales precisely because it was cheap (around £7). I recalled that Edge blessed it with a favourable review, but the price meant it wasn’t particularly a foolish gamble.

The cellophane finally came off last night after much internal debate. I’m already getting enough shooting action with The Umbrella Chronicles so I was a little reluctant to over-egg my gaming balance. On the other hand I still have Halo 3 to replay before tackling ODST (and then more than likely Reach) so there is a considerable shooter backlog to clear. If I don’t start now…

All I remember of the original game was that it was a tight, corridor shooter with massive Ring overtones, i.e. scary, ghostly little girl. The sequel seems to carry on in a similar fashion. Obviously, I didn’t get to see much of the first game so it’s hardly fair to criticise the vagueness of the story (the sequel actual starts just prior to the end of the original albeit from another, removed perspective). What I have gleaned is that it’s a familiar tale of [failed] experimentation, test subjects, mental powers, private military companies, and shadowy corporations...Right onto the action!

It’s actually a little dull. Although you’re working with a tried and tested HUD (at first I wondered why I was the only member of the squad wearing a helmet but in fact you’re kitted out with hi-tech sunglasses; no one else wears a pair though) there is no compass or mini map. Instead you’re guided by vague instinct (later levels use barricaded doors and other obstacles to herd you along) which gives the game a wandering, slightly less than focused feel.

If you’re left wondering what the hell is going on (very much like the characters in the game) then it’s up to you to fill in the gaps. The game scatters about data items in the form of memos, emails, IM transcripts, etc, in a bid to give the narrative some coherence. It’s a familiar ploy but it’s far less engaging then the efforts of titles such as Bioshock or even Doom III. Naturally, there is a series of Achievements revolved around the collecting of them.

The enemies are mostly human in Black Ops guise who all demonstrate some intelligence, i.e. they’ll take cover but leave a knee sticking out. I’ve also come across a fast-paced, experiment gone wrong-type of creature, but that’s about it for variety at the moment.

That’s about it so far. I’m only on the third or fourth level; I’m playing on Normal so it’s a reasonably gentle cruise (you have body armour and health). Hopefully, I can see it through to the end although it’ll be boredom rather than difficulty which will be my nemesis.

2 comments:

Bobsticle said...

Does it still feature the Bullet time and sort of Pysch powers that you had in the first game? I believe the enemy AI is one of the things the original was praised for.

I completed the original [i]F.E.A.R.[/i] and it was a fun experience and of course it was the tightest game for achievements.. I got a measly 45 points out of the 1000 after I'd finished the game.

It's also one of the ones that thought it was funny to give out 0g achievements (I think I got it for blowing myself up five times with a grenade).

Nish said...

Yes to the bullet time although I have no other powers as yet.

It's generous with the Achievements by giving you 15gs for every chapter. I've collected a few unique ones but that was simply during the course of my normal play.