Sunday 9 May 2010

Game Over 2010

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (X360)
Bayonetta (X360, Normal)
Bioshock (X360, Normal)
Bioshock 2 (X360, Normal)
Heavy Rain (Hard QTEs)
God of War II (PS3, Normal)
God of War III (Normal)
Super Mario Galaxy (108 stars)
Rogue Trooper (Wii, Normal)
Tomb Raider: Underworld (X360, Master Survivalist)
Mirror's Edge (X360, Normal)

I finished this a few nights ago. If you remember Mirror’s Edge was another of my disappointments of 2008 (the others were Tomb Raider: Underworld and Prince of Persia), and sadly my opinion hasn’t changed.

It’s frustrating because there is so much about the game that appeals to me. I love the cool, clean style which forgoes intricate detail in favour of simple geometric design. The cutscenes are another matter. I dislike them because they are a jarring shift away from the primary style.

I also like the main gameplay aspect of the game that of free-running across the cityscape. To have so much of the game constricting the player to so many indoor environments such as corridors and even air vents is maddening (the ending sequence shows you how much opportunity was wasted - the city is vast).

It’s still a game worth experiencing once but it’s so much wasted potential (I remember when Edge put the game on the cover before there were even proper screenshots, an indication of its promise).

1 comment:

Bobsticle said...

Who'd of thought a free running FP would work though?? I can forgive it so much for that.