Sunday 9 May 2010

Use your illusion

I don't think I mentioned here that I recently splashed out £35 on a mains cable for my PS3. That's right, I paid a premium for a 'kettle' lead.

It's no ordinary lead (at least that's what I'm led to believe) but rather one of those constructed to give the best possible vision and audio quality. It was actually the cheapest of this type available.

I use it in conjunction with a mains conditioner which in theory gives all my A/V equipment the cleanest form of power available in Watford. The PS3, therefore, has the purest source of electricity because of the new mains cable. Why favour the PS3 in this way? Well it's because with one exception (the TV itself) it's the most expensive piece of hardware I have connected to my television.

Does it work? I don't know. I will readily admit to not noticing any immediate difference. However, after giving the PS3 a break for a while (during which I played Tomb Raider and Mirror's Edge on X360) I returned to Minna no Golf 5. To my eyes certain colours seemed brighter and bolder (the red shirt of my golfer for example) and the close-up of the green when going for a putt seemed sharper.

Of course, it's more than likely that it's a psychological response in wanting to see a difference after having paid my money (the only other PS3 game I've tried is FF XIII, which looks good anyway). However, sometimes even illusion is better than the real thing.

2 comments:

Bobsticle said...

Is Minna no Golf 5 the same as Everybody's Golf: World Tour?

Nish said...

Yes, it is. As I recall is was one of the first big (Japanese) games for the PS3 (one of the first themed packages, I think), which tells you a lot about the machine's launch in its native territory.