Thursday 29 April 2010

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (X360)
Bayonetta (X360, Normal)
Bioshock (X360, Normal)
Bioshock 2 (X360, Normal)
Heavy Rain (Hard QTEs)
God of War II (PS3, Normal)
God of War III (Normal)
Super Mario Galaxy (104 stars)
Rogue Trooper (Wii, Normal)
Tomb Raider: Underworld (X360, Master Survivalist)

If I remember correctly this was one of my disappointments of 2008. I thought it a weak end to the trilogy despite the developers attempting to invoke the spirit of the original Tomb Raider (or indeed Anniversary) but with a little of Legend's flair.

Strangely, after playing the first two levels I thought I had got it all wrong. I was taking a more slow and considered approach, taking the time to admire the still impressive visuals. But, sadly, the joy wasn't to last. It all got a little boring and samey again.

Perhaps more significantly I was finding I was more or less getting stuck in exactly the same places. For example, I still initially found it impossible to pull off headshots before suddenly mastering the technique. Then there's the two-pronged, subtle-signposting approach to some of the sections. The first time I played the game it was on its immediate release so finding help was nearly impossible. One section left me frustrated because it seemed to rely on a leap of faith (and even then it was hit or miss). This time around I still looked for another exit before just going for it. I don't want neon signs but it's noticeable that Lara doesn't always give you clues, e.g. an altering of her stance to tell a jump is possible.

Yet despite my moans I can see myself dusting this off again at some point in the future because inevitably I'll want to play Anniversary again, which of course will make me want to finish the trilogy once more.

1 comment:

Bobsticle said...

I can't remember having much problem with the signposting.. I had a problem with the ship level appearing twice and the general lack of proper Tomb Raiding.