Friday 9 January 2009

Games of 2008

Obviously, I mean my pick of last year with a large number of exclusions, exceptions, absences, and excuses which I'll explain as I go along.

Strangely, considering one particular title which was released in 2008, I've not boiled down my list to leave one indisputable champion. Instead I've a nonet of titles each of which either impressed me (no mean feat these days), depressed me (all too common), or else I never got around to playing but surely would have generated an opinion.



Highs


Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
The title which ensured I would purchase a PS3 and the most expensive game I've ever bought (because I purchased a hideously overpriced UK special edition). There's no doubt MGS4 would have ended up in my list even if it was a crushing disappointment. Thankfully, it wasn't. Instead, it was an absorbing, mindbending 20-hours worth of entertainment. That's not to say that it wasn't without its share of faults though.

"Entertainment" is the key word rather than "game". It's a long-running criticism that the MGS games offer less game for your buck (and certainly pound at the moment) than almost any other title. MGS4 takes this to the extreme but there really wasn't any other way. Creator Hideo Kojima promised a resolution this time around, that all our questions would be answered. And they were.

However, that doesn't quite excuse some poor sections in the game, the most notable probably being the 'tailing' sequence in the third act. Boring is arguably the kindest word to use when describing it. Yet Kojima follows this drudgery with an absolutely stunning following act, and towards the end of the game manages to transform the most primeval game mechanic (button-mashing) into one of the most cathartic gaming sequences I've ever played.

So, I wouldn't say that MGS4 didn't meet my expectations because I do not set them for the MGS series: I take what Kojima gives regardless of whether or not its good or bad. It certainly could have been better (Act III I'm still looking at you) but what it offered was more than good enough.


Gears of War 2
A lot less to say about this one although don't let that make you think I feel any less for this game. GoW2 is pretty much everything you'd want in a sequel: bigger and better. Okay, the story still needs work (worrying when you think of the resources pumped into the series so far) but everything else clicks like the sweetest active reload.


Dead Space
One the best examples in recent times of a game which is more than the sum of its parts. Everything about Dead Space is almost horribly familiar thanks to its shameless borrowing from the SF genre. However, it puts its borrowed components together into a near-seamless experience and with a great deal of polish. Enjoyable from start to finish.



Lows

Tomb Raider Underworld
I've been put off by TR's difficulty before and by its fiddly mechanics, but this is the first time apathy has come into play. A short game (it even re-uses a level) which seems to rush towards its ending.


Prince of Persia
A strange one because I enjoyed playing it although my mind was screaming at everything that was wrong with the game. Superb graphics and the feeling of joy at showing off the Prince's acrobatic prowess is almost unrivalled. However, the completely misconceived combat, the no-death mechanic, and the curtailed open world left me scratching my head.


Mirror's Edge
After completing the game I truly discovered what a bitter disappointment it was. There's nothing else out there which gives you the feeling ME does when you're running, leaping and falling within a crisp, clean cityscape. So why on earth does so much of the game take place indoors? When you see the end cutscene you'll gnash your teeth at what could have been. The biggest disappointment of last because its potential was enormous.



Maybe this year?

Fable II
Fallout 3
LittleBigPlanet

4 comments:

Berserker said...

Interesting list you have here. I've been meaning to make one up myself and might get around to it in a few days. I agree with MGS4 being a high. Even with all the complaints that I can think of for it, there is always something positive to replace it.

Regarding complaints, I thik the lack of gameplay versus cutscenes was more felt by me this time thans other MGS mainly because the gameplay was greatly improved over MGS3. The final act was really lacking in overall gameplay, but it did devliver some very memorable sequences.

As for your lows, I haven't played TRU and Mirror's Edge, but I really enjoyed PoP. The characters drew me in more than anything, which is kind of surprising considering the sudden backlash I felt when the Prince first spoke. Wrong game, Nathan Drake!

Once I got used to his voice however, everything seemed to fit into place with the characters. I do agree about the fighting however. There were too many button prompts during a fight for me. I like to have more control over my battles instead of having to watch for the on-screen button prompt.

Nish said...

As I said PoP was a strange one. Almost everything about it screamed "Wrong!" but not for one moment did I feel like giving up.

I too felt slightly strange when Nathan Drake started speaking, but I like the actor and soon acclimatised. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the banter between the Prince and Elika.

Bobsticle said...

Some how missed this.

We seem to have ended up playing a lot of different games this year.

I completely agree with you on MGS4. It's a stunning acheivement. Must see it through to it's conclusion.

However I have to disagree with two of you lows.. I didn't think Mirror's Edge or TR:U Where that bad. In fact I got a fair degree of entertainment out of both of them.

Still eyes toward the horizon and roll on 2009.

Nish said...

I considered ME a low because it could have been so much better. When I saw the massive cityscape at the end I could only think of what have been.

As for TR:U I expected much, much more than just a well animated Lara. Even Keeley Hawes sounded like she couldn't be arsed.